Restaurants, clubs and even offices seek good sound systems. Music adds to the atmosphere and relaxes people, whether it plays over a meal or during a wait in the lobby. If you plan to make this investment at your place of business, you do not need an entire production house in Orange County, CA, but you do want to buy what is right for your environment. Here are five types of speakers that can work in a business setting:
- Horn speakers: If you want a voice-based announcement system rather than a soft flow of background music, horn speakers are your best bet. They offer a limited frequency range that enhances vocals so speaking voices are clearly articulated. This is not a speaker designed for the deep bass often featured in club music, and it will distort softer forms of music. So, unless you decide to limit your use of your system to voices, avoid horn speakers for music.
- In-ceiling: These are optimal for commercial buildings with drop ceilings. There is plenty of space above acoustic tiles, and the speakers do not detract from a decorative or professional atmosphere. Go for six to eight inches wide in restaurants and theaters that require high fidelity, but limit it to four inches for offices with background music. Also, you want your installation technician to confirm the ceiling can handle the weight of the speakers.
- Pendant speakers: If you cannot accommodate in-ceiling speakers, pendant speakers make a good alternative. Rather than embed within the ceiling, these models hang from cables that are anchored to the ceiling. You find them in restaurants where proprietors want to bring the music closer to the listeners. They also work well in large clubs where patrons may hang out in back with the pool tables rather than in front of the stage with the band. Anytime you want to help sound travel, pendant speakers are a great option.
- Surface-mount speakers: These are not the most aesthetically appealing options. They are in plain sight, and your patrons will notice them. However, if placement is vital for your needs, they offer a big advantage—the ability to be mounted anywhere. Surface-mount speakers come with their own mounting hardware, and if there is a surface, they can be installed there. If decor is important to you, you can find attractive models of surface-mount speakers. Many times, their ease of installation outweighs any appearance considerations.
- Water-resistant: If you seek sound for your patio or swimming pool, weather- and water-resistant speakers are required. While these will not survive being fully immersed in water, they will endure rainstorms and being splashed with water. This is a good precaution even if your entertainment area is covered. A strong rainstorm can send drops under shelter, and you do not want your investment short-circuited because you chose the wrong equipment.
Larson Lighting & Audio is a production house in Orange County, CA that can help you create good sound systems. Visit or call us today.